Rockhill Furnace Work Session: July & August, 2005 Special Sessions
Between the regular work sessions of July 23-24 and August 13-14, Charlie Wootton, Steve Jacobs and Larry Freeman led a series of special work days focused on the renovation of the paint shop as a car repair facility.
Those participating included Charlie Wootton, Steve Jacobs, Bill Adams, David Dietz, Larry Freeman, Henry Long, Bob Goldby, Dave Brightbill, Wade Woodcock, and Dick Ullery. The volunteers recorded 314 hours on this project.
The work accomplished was enormous. It included:
- The removal of three dump truck loads of trash, and the sorting and moving of much additional material to appropriate storage locations.
- The preparation of the floor of the paint shop for new concrete.
- Construction of forms for the various sills and inspection pits.
- The raising of the approach tracks to the new floor level, with preparations to pour an exterior work surface at a later time.
- Laying of rail to extend the full length of the paint shop.
- Pouring and leveling of multiple truckloads of concrete.
- Placement of footers for a furnace and oil tank.
- Installation of new locking mechanisms on the south (track) doors.
The resulting transformation of the paint shop is astounding. Thanks to this special work effort, we now have a safe, convenient work area that will serve us well for many years to come.
Rockhill Restoration Coordinator
You can view other photos of this work session at Bill Adams' EBT Pictorial.